Over the years I have seen many medical providers: doctors, nurse practicioners, physicians assistants, tehs of all kinds. One thing I have never done is see a chiropractor. That threshold will be breached today.
I have a bad shoulder. Courtesy of a work related accident in the early 90's, which was compounded by 2 fender benders in following years. I'm used to having trouble when the weather turns cold, and when there is a storm coming. The shoulder tenses up. It's always been just the shoulder.
Within the past few weeks I've been noting an ache in on of my wrists. Since I type for a living, my initial panic was that it may be carpal tunnel syndrome. However after talking with a few folks about it, and doing bit of research I've learned that it may well be related to my shoulder.
I debated going to my boss as starting the process of having it checked out as a work related injury, and that might still happen- however words cannot express how less than thrilled I am at the prospect of a doctors visit, the use of a wrist brace, potential nerve conduction studies and even surgery. So before I jump off THAT cliff I am going to try the chiro.
The bald assed truth is that I'm not sure I believe in the 'science' of chiropractic medicine- though techniques and regulation of the industry have come a long way. From an intellectual standpoint, I realized I have been closed minded about something that helps many people and MANY help me. Whether there is any truth to this, will come to pass. Perhaps I've simply met the people who think that it's normal to go to the chiropractor every time you have an ache and I don't want to become one of those.
I know myself well enough to be certain that isn't going to happen.
Monday, January 17, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment