Saturday, February 12, 2011

Hindsight- Would You?

The age old question: If you could go back in time, knowing all the things you know now- retaining memory of all the experiences you have had to this point- and do a 'redo' of your life, would you?

I fall into the dream of this once in awhile, just like everyone else. There are certainly times when I wish it was possible- but I stop myself from thinking about it. Why? What's wrong with thinking about it? For me it's summed up in a few lines of lyrics from the musical "Wicked", the song: "I'm Not That Girl"

"Ev'ry so often we long to steal, to the land of what might have been. But that doesn't soften the ache we feel, when reality sets back in"

The solution to the humanistic equation WHO AM IT.. is in fact the total of our experiences. If we could have a 're-do' we would not be who we are, who we were meant to be. We might be thinner, or richer- be the person we wish we could be- but it would be a sham.

This doesn't negate the fact that I do still wish at times for a brief rewind and a second take. Thankfully when I blink a few times and shake my head, I can laugh about the thought, and revisit the reality that making the choices I did, for good or for ill, let's me revel in the uniqueness that is moi.

Deep huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment